- Emmaus will provide food and lodging for the volunteers at the camp. It will also provide accident insurance for any injuries and will arrange for transportation as needed for the activities contemplated by the program at the camp
- Other expenses, including medical expenses or hospitalization for illness are not included. Volunteers will have to cover their own travel expenses to and from the camp, as well as any other day to day expenses for their support in case of advance termination (due to personal choice or if asked to leave) in their participation in the camp.
HOSPITALITY AND LOGISTICS
- Volunteers will be housed in groups of 8/15/25 people at 3/4 structures located in the nearby areas, made available by local associations and groups cooperating with the organization for the social entertainment in the neighbourhoods where those structures are located. Each structure will be headed by one or more camp managers and each group will share the life in common. The structures will be equipped with beds.
- The activities of collection, selection and sale of used material, training, meetings and other entertainment activities will have as their base a structure/shed made available by the city of Palermo at the Fiera del Mediterraneo fairgrounds.
- Meals will be made available by the Caritas organization of Palermo and prepared with the collaboration of the camp volunteers. Lunch will be eaten together at the Fiera del Mediterraneo structure. Dinner will be shared at the individual structures housing the groups
- Volunteers will travel by public transportation or private means made available to the camp
WHAT TO DO AND WHAT TO BRING
- Bedding and/or sleeping bag, pillowcases
- Towels and the necessary for personal hygiene
- Work clothes, safety gloves and safety footwear
- Canteen, backpack, cap and anything else useful for dealing with the heat and exposure to the sun
- Cash necessary for your personal expenses outside of camp
- You are strongly recommended to update your tetanus vaccination
- Documents required:
- Italian volunteers: identity document and health service card
- EEC volunteers: identity document, health and hospitalization insurance
- Volunteers from outside the EEC: Passport, visitor permit, health and hospitalization insurance
Note: Emmaus Italia is not able to prepare the documentation and to provide the guarantees required by Italian law for the visa application or visitor permit required for persons from outside the EEC. It will therefore be possible for such persons to participate in the camp ONLY IF they are already in possession of such documentation.
Generally about 8 hours a day will be devoted to the camp activities and training.
The activity of collection, selection and sale of secondhand material will be organized as follows:
- Advertising by means of leaflets and posters, house to house
- The truck will go out by appointment to collect the material from the houses
- Selection of the material at the Fiera del Mediterraneo structure
- Sale of the material in the secondhand goods market set up at the Fiera del Mediterraneo structure.
The social entertainment activity will be coordinated with other local associations
TRAINING AND FREE TIME
A day and a half will be devoted to training. Half a day will be left for rest or free activities